This session is all about creating overloads while playing out from the back, through midfield and into attack, creating 1v1, 2v1, 2v2 and 3v2 situations. MORE
If you want your players to create goal scoring chances, try this exciting and fast-moving game and you’ll soon see the benefits. A session aimed at getting players to create and utilise space in midfield. With quick passing and movement, it should help open up the opposition and make goal scoring chances.
Create a playing area 40x20yards, with two goals back to back across the middle, but just one goalkeeper. We’re using eight players and a keeper for this session, plus a server who can be the coach. You need bibs, cones, balls and two small goals.
How to play
Start by serving a ball into the game. Players can score in either of the two back-to-back goals. If the keeper gains possession or the ball leaves the area, serve a new ball in. The keeper puts any balls he gathers into the net behind him. When a goal is scored, immediately serve another ball into the game.
Creating space in a match situation with fast and accurate passing will open up the room for midfielders to exploit. In this game a quick switch of play allows players to take advantage of one of the goals being unguarded – they must be aware of the position of the keeper at all times.
- 1. Players must pass the ball around the area quickly to create space
- 2. The side without the ball must press quickly to try and win the ball back or they will give away goalscoring chances
- 3. If the ball is not passed quickly enough between the two sides of the pitch the keeper has time to get into position to save the shot
- 4. If the keeper gathers the ball or when a goal is scored, immediately serve another ball into the game
- 5. It’s a good work out for your keeper who must react to the position of the ball and try and cover the two goals
- 6. When the ball is won in a tackle or intercepted, the team gaining possession must be ready to counterattack at speed using the space on the pitch