Pass! is a great way to improve passing and receiving skills as well as the ability to spot and execute a through-pass. MORE
Fit and focused
Use this fast-paced training game to get your players moving quickly into supporting positions, linking play and combining to keep the ball just like they would in a match.
Why use it
This is a refresher for players to get into supporting positions when they are near the player with the ball.
Use four cones to create an area with two centre midfielders eight yards apart and a defensive midfielder five yards behind. Use four players in each group. We used 16 players.
How to do it
The workout is done in groups of four: one server and two wide centre midfielders with a deeper defensive midfielder. The server passes to the defensive midfielder, who runs forward to receive the ball like he would when pressing to it. The two centre midfielders take up positions behind to support the pressing move. The ball is passed back to the server and players move into their positions.
Now the process is repeated with a pass to the right midfielder and then to the left midfielder, with players taking up appropriate supporting positions relative to the ball. Play four balls and then swap servers.
Look for good speed of thought and the right decisions about where to move, regarding the position of the body and the distance and angle from team-mates.
- 1. Set up play so you have a server, two central midfielders and a defensive midfielder
- 2. The server passes short to the defensive midfielder, who moves forward to get the ball in a pressing action. The central midfielders get into position to support and cover
- 3. Now the server passes to one of the wide players for the other two players to get into support positions
- 4. The player who receives the pass must pass it back to the server each time
- 5. The final pass is to the other wide midfielder and players move into position – the session must be played at a high tempo