A great training session to encourage goalscoring chances created from balls played into the penalty area by clever wingers like Argentina’s Angel Di Maria. MORE
Soccer coaching session to get young players developing teamwork skills
This game is about coaching your young soccer (football) players to develop teamwork skills, strength and balance. The idea is for players to link up in a chain and keep together around the course.
How to set up teamwork soccer coaching game
- Set up an area 40 yards by 30 yards, divided into two 40 yards-by-15-yards channels.
- You need 12 players, split into two teams of six, using cones and two balls.
How to play teamwork coaching game
- Place a large cone or pole at one end of each channel.
- The players are divided into two teams and start at the opposite end.
- The first player dribbles a ball up the channel, around the cone and back to their team-mates.
- The starting player then links arms with the second player on their team and they dribble the ball up the channel, around the cone and back to their team-mates.
- An extra player joins the chain gang after each lap until all the players are in the chain.
- The whole team must negotiate the course and the turn without breaking, and keeping their ball under control.
- If at any time the chain breaks, the team must start again from the line without adding an extra link.
- Play the best of three or five races and change the starting player as they have to work harder.
How to progress the soccer (football) skills
All players have to dribble a ball with them when they join the chain using good ball control skills.
Click here to order a copy of Fun Soccer Games for 5 to 8 Year Olds.
Click here for a soccer teamwork game to coach with your young players.