Use this session to train your players to hit a team-mate with pinpoint accuracy. Good long passing from side to side or to an advancing player is important to the development of young players. MORE
Final pass Rondo
Creative play in and around the final third needs players to see opportunities to get the ball through to attackers behind the defence. This session helps develop their passing vision.
Use the centre circle of your pitch or mark out a circle with a 20 yard diameter and another circle with a 10-yard diameter inside that. We’ve used nine players. You need bibs, ball and cones.
How to do it
Split your players into three groups of three players. Each group has a ball, with one player in the centre and two on the outside of the large circle. Start unopposed with players staying in their zones and passing from the outside to the inside and back.
Advance this so the middle players can come out of the area to receive the ball and dribble to the other team-mate. Finally, make one trio defenders with two in the ring between the zones and one in the centre zone – they must try and intercept or block the pass.
The player in the centre must open up the body to be able to see both players, one to receive from and one to pass to. This is vital for any midfielder linking play from defence to attack. Movement is key to keeping possession of the ball.
- 1. Play starts with three players on each team passing from the outside to the inside
- 2. The third player must move so his team-mate in the centre can see him and make it easier to get the pass away
- 3. To progress the session, allow the centre players to move into the other circle to make it easier to get the pass
- 4. They can dribble around the circle and lay off a pass to the third player
- 5. To progress the session further, make one team defenders and they must try to intercept or block passes