It can be a frustration when your players take their chances in training, but fail to do so when they play a match. To help mitigate this problem, I am always using sessions to help all my players to score goals, so if one player is off colour in a match there is always another one to score the goals. MORE
This game puts a time pressure on players to score match-winning goals, much like in a real game when the final whistle approaches and a team needs to score. It’s a fun session that your players will really love.
Set up an area 35×30 yards with a goal at each end. We used 12 players in the session. You need balls, bibs, cones and goals.
How to play it
Split your players into two teams of six including keepers. The teams play a game for two minutes – each player on the winning team gets a point each.
Now mix the players up into new teams and play again, and again each player on the winning team gets a point. The first player to get five points wins. Make sure there are lots of balls all around the pitch so play can start quickly each time the ball goes out.
This is where players who can control the ball and make the best decisions whether to pass or shoot will win the games for their team. Accurate shooting is also vital for success.
- 1. Play starts with one of the goalkeepers playing out to a team-mate
- 2. Make sure there are plenty of balls placed around the pitch so play can continue quickly
- 3. The goalkeeper spots a wide player free and makes a long pass
- 4. The winger dribbles quickly into a crossing position and creates a goal for a team-mate
- 5. Here the team overcommits players into attack and a quick counterattack results in a goal