This session improves shooting technique and gives players confidence to shoot from outside the penalty area. It helps players to see an opportunity and take it with a shot from long range. Some players will be able to do it straight away but others will take time – put accuracy over power when they first try. MORE
This training session will help your players learn how to shoot as soon as the chance arises.
Taking shooting chances when they are presented is hard and players often want just that extra touch and then the chance goes begging. In this session, strikers are encouraged to hit a shot at the first opportunity from wherever they are in the area.
Set up an area of 15×15 yards with a goal at one end. We used six players. You need balls, bibs, cones and a goal.
How to play
Split your players into four defenders, two attackers and one keeper. The defenders and the keeper play keep ball and the attackers must press and force mistakes. If they win the ball they must shoot first time. Have lots of balls and when one goes out, play another ball in immediately.
It’s a fast game and everybody needs a turn at being striker. Play for 90 seconds and then change strikers. The striker who scores the most goals after three goes each wins.
As it’s a fast game it will be easy to force mistakes, so good technique is essential. It’s great for passing, pressing, movement and shooting, plus it’s a good workout if you want to test your keeper.
- 1. The coach plays balls in to either the goalkeeper or one of the unmarked defenders
- 2. The defenders must link up with the keeper to pass the ball around and keep it from the attackers, making it a 5v2
- 3. Every time the ball goes out the coach quickly plays another ball in to keep the game flowing
- 4. When the attackers win the ball they shoot first-time from wherever they are on the pitch
- 5. The striker who scores the most goals by the end of the session wins