Use this game to teach your players how to beat stubborn defenders. This session gives the attacking team a deadline to win the ball and score goals. MORE
Shooting from midfield is a great way to get your team to catch the opposition out. Use this session to get players lining up shots. Players can be scared to shoot from distance but this session will make sure they start doing it in matches.
Set up an area of 35×20 yards split into a 20-yard playing area and a 15-yard ‘no go’ zone. We’ve used 12 players. You need balls, bibs, cones and a normal goal.
How to play it
Split your players into one goalkeeper, one server, two target players, three defenders and five attackers. Only the goalkeeper is allowed in the 15-yard zone.
Play starts with a pass from the server to the attackers. They must combine and make space to get a shot in. If the defenders win the ball, they can get it to one of the target players to score a point. Swap the three defenders with the server and target player regularly.
This simple session gets players looking up and trying to shoot at every opportunity. Some players will not be able to hit powerful shots over the distance but all players will enjoy trying to do it.
- 1. Play starts and restarts every time with a pass out from the server to the attackers
- 2. Here the move creates space for one of the attackers who can shoot across the 15-yard area
- 3. The attacker must use the space wisely when he gets the ball and decide whether to pass or dribble to make best use of the overload
- 4. Here the supporting attacker runs between the defenders into space where he can turn and shoot
- 5. If the defender wins the ball he simply has to get it back to the target player