Shooting from midfield is a great way to get your team to catch the opposition out. Use this session to get players lining up shots. Players can be scared to shoot from distance but this session will make sure they start doing it in matches. MORE
Soccer coaching tips to improve volley skills
One of the most effective skills for your players to work on in soccer training is the perfect volley, that is striking a ball which is still in the air.
Volley training drill tips
- In this drill, tell your players to keep their eyes focused on the ball and get into the line of flight.
- Get them to use their arms for balance, imagine a strike zone in front of them and keep their head still.
- They should plant their non-kicking foot on the ground and leading with the knee, bring the kicking leg through.
- The leg should be slightly bent, with the toes pointing down and the ankle held firm.
- They should strike the centre or top half of the ball with the instep and keep their head over the ball to keep the volley down.