Don't just dig out your boot bag the day before training is due to start and polish your boots... there's more to getting ready for the new season than that. Map out your pre-season fitness blueprint for you and your players. MORE
Short sprint stamina drills
Set up a V pattern and get your players working on a short-sprint stamina training drill, before extending the drill to include dribbling skills as well.
Using a triangle of cones, about four metres x four metres x four metres, ask your players to do a series of short sprints to prepare them for a match. This soccer coaching drill gets the blood circulating in the players’ legs and prepares them for the short sprints used regularly in game situations.
Include this soccer drill as a part of your players’ fitness regime. It’s a good one for building up stamina.
Soccer drill coaching tips
- Markers positioned in a V pattern, four metres apart.
- Players start at the base of the V.
- Sprint to either of the top markers.
- Turn and sprint back to the base of the V.
- Sprint out to the other marker.
- Turn and sprint back to the base of the V to finish.
- Immediately repeat the same drill sequence while dribbling a ball.
- Repeat the drill for three sets with two minutes rest between drill sets.