This drill helps players move to create passing angles to receive the ball. Players in possession try to make good decisions on whether to pass forward to the target player or keep possession by passing backwards/sideways to build the play again. MORE
3 Zone Playmaker Game
- Pitch size: 40 x 30 yards, divided into three narrow strips
- Each zone has a target goal at each end
- Two teams of four players
- Three players on each team go into their own 1v1 zone.
- One player from each team is the “playmaker” (P in the diagrams).
- Possession starts with the playmaker and the teams take it in turns to start a move.
- The playmaker can play in any zone and move freely between them.
- The other players must remain in their starting zones.
- The playmaker’s job is to pass to a team mate and support them, creating a 2v1 situation.
- The opponents’ playmaker can support their defender to create a 2v2 situation.
- The game is played for four periods of 2 minutes.
- Each player has one period as the playmaker.
This is a game of 1v1s with a “floating” playmaker.
The black playmaker passes to the right and follows to create a 2v1.
The white playmaker follows to try and create a 2v2 before the black team have a chance to score.