This session helps attackers to understand how their movement and position in relation to the player nearest the ball can effect the play. MORE
4 v 4 Overload Defending
- Pitch size: 30 x 20 yards (minimum) up to 40 x 25 yards (maximum)
- Two teams of four players
- One goal, no keeper
- One team starts the game as the attacking team. One team starts the game as the defending team.
- The game lasts for four attacks.
- The defending team number themselves 1 to 4 and each take a turn as goalkeeper.
- The defending team score a point for each time they stop the attackers scoring.
- The attacking team score a point for each goal scored.
- To start the game, one attacking player dribbles into the pitch and attempts to score in a 1v3 situation.
- When this ball has been played a new attacker dribbles into the pitch and attempts to combine with his team mate in a 2v3 situation.
- The game continues until all attackers are on the pitch and the game is a 4v3 (+1) situation.
It will take some brilliant attacking play to score 1 v 4.
The defenders should be able to cope with two attackers…
…but are they organized and disciplined enough to stop 4 attackers?