This game puts a time pressure on players to score match-winning goals, much like in a real game when the final whistle approaches and a team needs to score. It’s a fun session that your players will really love. MORE
A keepball small sided soccer game
Coach your young soccer (football) players to put opponents under pressure with this small-sided soccer game of keepball.
This simple game of 4v1 keepball is also a good test of a soccer (football) player’s first-touch skills.
Run the game
- Play four attackers versus one defender in a 10-yard square.
- The attackers have to make, for example, eight consecutive passes (after which one of them swaps with the defender).
- The defender must try to win the ball, if they win it, they swap places with the next attacker.
- To progress the skills in this soccer coaching session, try making one attacker pass with their first touch, then make that a condition for all the attackers.
Key soccer coaching tips
Encourage players to…
- Use both feet in the soccer drill.
- Keep their heads up to follow the movements of their team-mates
- Decide what to do with the ball before getting it – when transferred to a match situation this saves valuable time and helps speed up attacks, something defenders don’t like
Click here to order a copy of 64 Small-Sided Soccer Games by Michael Beale, Chelsea FC academy coach.
Click here for a 2v2 small-sided game to help players maintain possession of the ball.