Players work on through balls, angled passes, chips and more. It trains players to time their runs, arc their runs, and be creative. The zones help players practise beating the offside trap. MORE
Angle your attack
Teach your team how to score late in the game by throwing more players forward and playing the ball into your attackers from wide positions. Late goals can make a big difference to your team, turning a draw into a win or a loss into a draw. It can give your team the confidence to know that even when they are losing they can score late on in a game.
Set up a 40×30 yard area with a five-yard zone down the right hand side of each attacking half. We’ve used 14 players. You need bibs, balls, cones and two normal goals.
How to play it
Use two teams of seven, including goalkeepers. One attacker is locked in the five-yard zone but no other players are allowed to enter this zone. This is a tactical game so set both teams up so each team has three attackers plus one in the zone, and two defenders. To score a goal the ball has to be played in by the attackers in the zones. Progress the session by adding channels to both sides of the pitch, which will spread play and create different scenarios.
Angles are critical to scoring late and teams should be encouraged to have four players in the box waiting for the ball to be crossed in, with just one defender covering. This will create a fast game of attack and counterattack, showing how effective it is to play balls in from tight on the wing.
- 1. The game starts with a pass out from the goalkeeper, and every attack must involve the player in the five-yard zone
- 2. One defender should join the attackers to create lots of chances to get on the end of crosses
- 3. Because a lot of players are in attack, fast pass outs from the goalkeeper can catch the opposition out
- 4. Here a quick move by the attackers has fed the ball wide and the team has scored from the angled cross
- 5. Now add channels on both sides of the pitch to vary the angle and spread play to include switching