Players work on through balls, angled passes, chips and more. It trains players to time their runs, arc their runs, and be creative. The zones help players practise beating the offside trap. MORE
Dodging defenders small sided soccer game
In this small-sided soccer coaching drill all your players are working all the time.
Game set up
- Divide your players into groups of four and mark out a six-yard square for each of the groups to work in.
- In each square spread out five or six markers.
Run small-sided soccer game
- The game is simple: three of the players are attackers and have to keep the ball away from the defender. Players can move around the square in any direction, passing the ball as often as they wish.
- The defender is trying to intercept the pass or tackle the player with the ball.
- None of the attackers or the defender are allowed to touch the markers. If they do, they have to run once around the square before joining the game again.
Advance the drill skills
You can advance the players’ skills by changing the numbers and balance of defender versus attackers, and put more or less markers in the area.
Get more useful weekly soccer tips by suBSCribing to Soccer Coach Weekly. Click here to find out more.
Click here for a team soccer drill to work on passing skills.