Small-sided games are a fantastic way of getting players to work together to score lots of goals with every single player having a big part to play in the game and are a good way to get players facing match relevant situations. MORE
Middle or Wide Advantage
- Pitch size: 30 x 20 yards (minimum) up to 40 x 25 yards (maximum)
- Two keepers
- Two teams of four players
- One team play with all four players on the pitch
- The other team play with two players on the pitch and two wide players off the pitch
- This set up gives the teams different tactics when in possession and when defending.
The white team have all four players on the pitch.
When in possession they need to pass the ball quickly in order to create an opening to score a goal.
In defence, this team can pressure quickly as they have the extra players and attempt to force the black players to play inside and not towards their wide advantage.
In possession the black team need to try to pass out wide quickly. This enables them to get another one of their players into the game.
The receiving wide player can choose to dribble down the outside unopposed or dribble onto the pitch and attempt to score. In defence, the black team must try to drop off and reduce the space for the white team to exploit.
Start with 4v2. The team in possession must look to use their use their numbers advantage to score quickly.
The black team have won possession but the white team are forcing them inside preventing use of their wide players.
But the black team manage to get the ball wide and the attack is on.