This is a great session for getting attackers to be open to the pitch and it will help your striker learn when to shoot and when to tee up a team-mate MORE
The overlapping game develops the relationship between your wingers and full backs when the team is in attack.
- Pitch 50yds x 50yds including two 10yd side channel
What you get your players to do
Split your players into two teams of eight. Each team nominates two wide players to go inside the wide channels as wingers.
The teams must try to pass the ball out to the wide channels in order to get the wingers in possession of the ball.
The wingers must now dribble onto the pitch to join the game and leave the wide channel free. A second player makes an overlapping run into this area to receive a pass from the winger and then makes the cross.
- The game is played for ten minutes
- Wingers must stay inside the channels until they receive a pass
- Wingers must dribble into the pitch when they receive the ball
- A new player must now overlap the wide player and go into the channel
- Defenders are allowed into the wide channel
- If the ball leaves the pitch then the game is restarted by the goalkeeper of the team in possession
Remove the wide channels and play a normal two goal game.
The teams attempt to pass the ball to the winger who dribbles onto the pitch.
This allows another player to overlap on the outside and receive a pass from the winger.
The overlapping player crosses.