A fun game that helps players to improve their speed of play, passing skills and ability to take goalscoring opportunities. MORE
Playing out to score
A session that puts passing patterns into match play situations with teams keeping possession, passing through the thirds and showing creativity to score goals
Why use it
A team that plays out from the back keeping possession and playing through the thirds will create good goalscoring chances
You need balls, bibs, and cones in an area 25 x 15 yards (in the progression we used two goals). Mark out four cones in the corners of the area with two cones in the middle 5 yards apart. We used 8 players in the session + 2 goalkeepers for the progression.
How to do it
The passing pattern starts with A passing to B as both players move up the area. B passes into C who passes back to D. D sets up A for a pass across to E. Players A and B run and join E and F. Now E plays to F and play goes back up the other end. The game continues to be run in waves up and down the pitch.
Move the session to half a pitch and add a goal on the half way line and a goal at the penalty area end plus goalkeepers. Now at the end of the move the player who receives a pass from C or D takes a shot at goal.
Passing, moving and shooting with good weight and direction of pass to keep the session moving.
- 1. The session starts with player A passing across the area to player B who are both on the move
- 2. Player B passes into player C who plays the ball back to player D setting up a pass out wide back to player A
- 3. Player A passes across to player E who starts the session going back the other way with a pass to player F
- 4. The middle two players combine and the ball goes back out to player E who passes across to F.
- 5. Now using half a pitch add goals and goalkeepers and create a shot at goal from one of the players moving up the pitch