This training session is a good workout for forwards pressing and forcing mistakes high up the pitch. It also helps to develop link play in the final third. MORE
Possession – Add One
- Outer pitch size: 30 x 30 yards
- Inner pitch size: 15 x 15 yards
- Two teams of four players
- No goals
- One team act as the passing team.
- The other team act as the defending team.
- The passing team spread out into the 15 x 15 yard area and begin the game by playing 4v1.
- After 30 seconds, an extra defender is added to make the game 4v2, then another for 4v3, and then 4v4.
- The game is played for 2 minutes.
- The passing team must count the number of successful passes that they make.
- The teams rotate roles for the next game and the new passing team tries to beat the number of passes made by their opponents.
To begin with, this is a simple 4 v 1 possession game.
Adding one more defender makes it a bit more of a challenge.
4 v 4 takes it to another level. Which team can make the most successful passes?