This training session is a good workout for forwards pressing and forcing mistakes high up the pitch. It also helps to develop link play in the final third. MORE
- Pitch size: 30 x 20 yards (minimum) up to 40 x 25 yards (maximum)
- Two teams of four players
- Divide the pitch into two halves
- No goals
- To start, pass a ball into one of the teams, and call for a player from the other team to go into that half and defend.
- If the team in possession manages to make five passes, call for another player to go and defend in a 4v2 situation.
- If the ball is dispossessed then the game transfers to the opposite half and the roles are reversed.
- The player guilty of losing possession must now run and defend in the other half.
- The winning team is the one that has all four of their opponents in their half and manages to make five passes.
The aim of the game is to keep the ball against increasing pressure.
As the number of defenders increases the passing must be very accurate or they’ll lose possession…
…at which point possession and roles switch to the other half.