This game puts a time pressure on players to score match-winning goals, much like in a real game when the final whistle approaches and a team needs to score. It’s a fun session that your players will really love. MORE
Small sided game to help the player on the ball pass it
The idea behind this small-sided soccer game is to coach your players in the art of helping the player on the ball pass it.
Set up the soccer (football) game
- Mark out a circle of about 25 yards diameter, using cones or markers.
- You’ll need two teams of four players.
- No goals.
- Each team has one player in the circle and three players on the outside of the circle.
How to play the game
- To start this soccer game, pass a ball into the pitch – the circle.
- The two players compete for possession.
- The player who wins the ball attempts to pass out to a team-mate.
- If successful, the team-mate enters the pitch to make a 2v1.
- The 2 then try to make it 3 and so on – a successful pass means the player can come on the pitch.
- The winning team is the first to have all four players on the pitch and complete six consecutive passes.
Click here to get more tried-and-tested small-sided soccer games by ordering a copy of 64 Small-Sided Soccer Games by Michael Beale, Chelsea FC academy coach.
For a small-sided soccer game to improve your young players’ awareness, click here.