Three-part session teaching players to receive on the half-turn and break defensive lines. By DAVID PONCIA MORE
Small sided game to keep defenders on their toes
When your team is playing out from the back, one of the elements that is important is the pass from the goalkeeper out to a defender in space. A pass that puts the defenders under pressure will usually end up in disaster. This small-sided game is designed to keep defenders on their toes but gives them a target to aim at.
Set up the game
Pitch size: 30 x 20 yards (minimum) up to 40 x 25 yards (maximum).
- One full-sized goal.
- One keeper.
- Two teams of four players.
- Three mini target goals.
Run the game
- One team starts the game as the attacking team.
- One team starts the game as the defending team.
- The keeper starts the drill with the ball in his hands.
- The defending team must attempt to pass out of defence and into one of the mini goals in order to score a goal.
- The attacking team must try to win the ball and shoot into the net to score a goal.
- The game is played for 10 consecutive balls.
- The two teams then reverse roles for a further 10 balls.
Click here for a soccer drill to get players passing back.