Great for social distancing rules and numbers at trainingThis is a game that encourages fast combination play and quick reactions that players need when they have won the ball. MORE
Small sided soccer game for possession skills
Try this fun, fast possession game with your young soccer players. The aim of the game is for the passing team to keep possession of the ball, away from the pressuring team. They have 30 seconds to score a goal…
Set up the soccer (football) game
- Pitch size: 30 x 20 yards (minimum) up to 40 x 25 yards (maximum).
- Two teams of four players.
- Two goalkeepers.
- No offside.
Soccer game options
If the ball leaves play, you have a few re-start options:
- The soccer coach passes a new ball onto the pitch.
- The players take a roll in.
- The players take a throw in.
- The players make a pass in.
- The players dribble in.
How to play it
- One soccer team starts on the pitch and passes the ball around.
- On your whistle, the team on the outside must race onto the pitch and try to win the ball and then score a goal.
- The passing team must try to keep possession.
- The passing team can use their goalies to keep possession of the ball.
- The pressuring team have 30 seconds to win the ball and score a goal. If they fail, then the passing team is awarded the goal.
- Rotate the teams for the next game.
To get more tried-and-tested small-sided soccer games, click here for a copy of 64 Small-Sided Soccer Games, by Michael Beale, Chelsea FC academy coach.
Click here for a 2v2 possession game and soccer coaching tips.