Players work on through balls, angled passes, chips and more. It trains players to time their runs, arc their runs, and be creative. The zones help players practise beating the offside trap. MORE
Small sided soccer game for volleys
Young soccer (football) players need lots of volleying practice to help them perfect this soccer skill. Use the following small-sided soccer game to coach the tactics needed.
Any game where an object hits a ball in a precise way only works well if your players practise the soccer skills repeatedly.
Set up for small-sided soccer game
Set up a pitch 30 x 20 yards (minimum) up to 40 x 25 yards (maximum).
How to play the game
- Set up two teams of four players for this soccer game.
- You need six mini goals for the soccer game, with three at each end to score into.
- No offside.
- If the ball leaves play, the game is re-started with a volley pass.
- The player in possession is allowed to make a one-bounce movement (using the hands basketball style).
- To pass the ball your players must make a volley pass out of their hands to one of their team-mates.
- To score a goal, the players must make a first-time volley shot into one of the opponent’s goals.
- The game is played for a set time period.
Click here for a soccer drill to work on volleying skills.
Click here to get a copy of 64 Small-Sided Soccer Games written by Michael Beale, Chelsea FC academy coach.