Over the next few weeks I hope to make it easy for you to plan your route back to full training with sessions that you can use within the constraints of the numbers you can use at training. MORE
Small sided soccer game to pounce on a through ball
This small-sided soccer game is a great one to get your soccer players pouncing on the through ball from your team’s positive passer.
The positive passer is the player who puts the ball into danger areas. You need to coach this skill by telling your player to:
- Pass into space.
- Pass the ball forward.
- Look for opportunities to pass the ball into dangerous areas of the pitch – the penalty area.
- When your player feels like he might lose it, tell him to pass into the corners of the pitch where his team-mates are likely to be.
Game to make the most of positive passing skills
One thing about having a positive passer is that it puts teams on the back foot and maybe the pass doesn’t reach your forward but the opposition defence has got to deal with it and that’s when mistakes occur and your attackers pounce. Use this game to put the theory to the test.
Set up the game
- Pitch size: 30 x 20 yards (minimum) up to 40 x 25 yards (maximum).
- Mark out a 10 x 10 yard area on one touchline, as in the diagram.
- Two teams of four players.
- One goal, one keeper.
Run the game
- One team works as the passing team.
- One team works as the defenders.
- The passing team work in the 10 x 10 yard area, passing the ball around and attempting to retain possession.
- Each player in the defending team has two turns at entering the area and attempting to win possession from the passers.
- If the defending player manages to force a mistake or win possession, then they break out of the 10 x 10 yard area and receive a pass from the coach in order to shoot at goal.
- If the passing team manages to make 10 consecutive passes, then the defender is ejected and replaced.
- The passing team scores a point for each set of 10 consecutive passes.
- The defending team scores a point for each goal scored from a pass from the soccer coach.
- When each defender has had two attempts at defending, rotate the teams.
Click here to order a copy of 64 Small-Sided Soccer Games by Michael Beale, Chelsea FC academy coach.