This session will show your wide players how to put good balls into the feet of attackers who are battling to try to lose a defender and score. MORE
Soccer coaching game to improve player positioning on the pitch
Getting soccer players to be aware of their positions on the soccer pitch is an important part of their match day experience. If players can cover all areas in defence or attack, they will make playing the game easier for themselves.
This is a great game for defensive angles, changing roles of attack and spatial awareness.
How to set the soccer game up
- Pitch size: 30 yards long by 20 yards wide (minimum) up to 40 yards long by 25 yards wide (maximum).
- Two teams of four players, four mini goals and three flags to make a triangle.
- One team defends the triangle goal while the other defends the four mini goals.
- The team defending the triangle goal must nominate a goalkeeper while the other three players try to pressure and win the ball.
- There is no offside.
- The game is played for two periods with the roles being reversed after half time.
- If the ball leaves play, you have a few restart options:
1. The coach passes a new ball on to the pitch
2. The players take a roll in
3. The players take a throw in
4. The players make a pass in
5. The players dribble in
- The game is played for a set time period, determined by the coach.
Why this game works
- Defence and attack are only a great tackle or a misplaced pass apart.
- Players can vary between tight passing and long-range breakaway moves.
- The game encourages speed, sensible aggression and accuracy.