My team will be back to normal training in just a week leaving the best part of a month to get ready for match play. There is all sorts of things to work on but one thing that is often neglected is working on set pieces. MORE
Throw for broke
A long throw when teams are in the attacking third of the pitch can be as effective as a corner kick or a free-kick. Use this session to identify a couple of players who can perfect the technique.
You need balls, bibs, cones and two goals. Set up an area 30 x 20 yards with a goal at each end. We used 8 players in this game with no goalkeepers.
How to play it
Split your players into two teams of 4 players . The aim of the game is to score a goal by heading in a pass. Passes are made by throwing the ball forward with a throw-in style action. Passes can be caught or headed. The player in possession cannot move with the ball. In addition, the player in possession must not have the ball in their hands for longer than five seconds. This encourages quick passing and decision making.
Use a throw-ins style pass – a skill often overlooked in training
- 1. Dry the ball before throwing on your shirt
- 2. Place hands on the side of the ball with the thumbs at the back making a “W” shape
- 3. Move forwards holding the ball in front of you
- 4. Whip the ball behind the head with front foot touching the sideline and throw
- 1. The game starts with one team having the ball with all players moving to help the player with the ball
- 2. The team in possession must use a throw-in style pass to a team mate’s head
- 3. The thrower cannot move once he has the ball
- 4. Players can only score goals with their heads – remember there are no goalkeepers so accuracy is the most important skill
- 5. Progress the session so that players can now volley the ball as well as head it to add more action into the session