This session encourages strikers to have rapid shots at goal and to link up in the middle of the park with one-twos and one-touch passing. Defenders can switch play when in possession and spread out to keep the ball from attackers. MORE
Throw to Pass, Head to Score
- Pitch size: 30 x 20 yards (minimum) up to 40 x 25 yards (maximum)
- Two teams of four players
- No keepers
- The game is played by throwing and catching the ball.
- The player in possession cannot move with the ball.
- This encourages his team mates to make movements off the ball.
- The player in possession must not have the ball in their hands for longer than 3 seconds.
- This encourages quick passing and decision making.
- A goal is scored by heading a thrown pass into the goal.
- A progression would be to allow players to score by volleying a thrown pass into the goal.
The team in possession in this netball-style game throw the ball to each other…
…looking for an opportunity to head into the goal.
Try giving your players the option to volley the ball into the goal.