This session teaches players to create chances from tight spaces near goal. The challenge of time makes it important to play in the tight space. Players learn the benefits of playing quickly when tightly marked. MORE
Throw to Pass, Head to Score
- Pitch size: 30 x 20 yards (minimum) up to 40 x 25 yards (maximum)
- Two teams of four players
- No keepers
- The game is played by throwing and catching the ball.
- The player in possession cannot move with the ball.
- This encourages his team mates to make movements off the ball.
- The player in possession must not have the ball in their hands for longer than 3 seconds.
- This encourages quick passing and decision making.
- A goal is scored by heading a thrown pass into the goal.
- A progression would be to allow players to score by volleying a thrown pass into the goal.
The team in possession in this netball-style game throw the ball to each other…
…looking for an opportunity to head into the goal.
Try giving your players the option to volley the ball into the goal.