This session is all about setting up and supporting an attacker. If you want your players to learn how to score from a fast counterattack, this is a great session – and it also has possession and pressing action points. MORE
Two In and Two Wide
- Pitch size: 30 x 20 yards (minimum) up to 40 x 25 yards (maximum)
- Two teams of four players, two players from each team starting on the pitch
- Two keepers
- The central players are involved in a 2v2 game but can use their wide players to their advantage when in possession of the ball.
- The wide players might make a return pass or maybe cross for an attempt on goal.
- The wide players can only use two touches on the ball.
- The game is played for a set time period before the wide and central players switch positions.
- This game can be progressed to a continuous game in which the central player that passes out to a wide player must go out and change positions with them. The wide player now dribbles onto the main pitch.
Start with 2v2. The team in possession can look to use their wide players to their advantage.
Here, the wide white player is used to cross for a scoring opportunity.
Turn it into a continuous 2v2 by getting the players on and off the pitch to swap roles.