This session combines specific moves to help players understand team play and decision-making by playing out from the back MORE
The wingers game improves players’ awareness and ability to get the ball into wide areas and reinforces the benefits crossing situations give to a team. Players including Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard have become world stars by passing wide and then getting into the box to score from a cross.
- Pitch 50yds x 50yds including two 10yd side channels
What you get your players to do
Divide your players into two teams of eight. Each team has two wide players who are placed inside the wide channels as wingers. Players pass the ball out to the wingers in order to gain crossing situations. The aim is to then make runs into the box and score from a winger’s cross.
- The game is played for ten minutes
- The wingers must stay inside the channels and in the attacking half of the field
- Defenders are not allowed in the channels
- The teams must pass to a winger before they can score a goal
- If the ball leaves the pitch then the game is restarted by the goalkeeper of the team in possession
Allow a defender to go out and into the channel to defend 1v1 against the winger. The winger is allowed one touch before the defender can go to tackle.
Both teams have two wide players.
The aim is to get your players to pass the ball wide…
…and run into the box to score from the cross.