When I first started coaching I looked at the list of divisions in the league we had been put in and realised with mounting horror that it was possible we could get relegated every season and the team could sink without a trace. MORE
Soccer coaching session to improve dribbling and skill levels
This session is designed to improve the dribbling ability and skill level of your players through a series of technical exercises and small-sided games.
- Improving dribbling techniques to accelerate and change direction.
- Improving skills to beat defenders.
- Enhancing a winning mentality.
When dribbling with the ball, your players may have space and they must be able to pick up speed quickly to use this area. However, when there is little space, players must be able to demonstrate quick feet, skills and turns to get past their opponent.
How to play it
Use a 25-yard square.
The circuit includes four different techniques that should be worked on for two minutes each.
- Complete two turns inside the square to reach the opposite side.
- Players must complete a skill to beat the mannequin (but you could use flags or poles).
- Players must use quick feet to go diagonally through the crazy cones.
- Players must accelerate and change direction across the area. Four balls work at all times.
How to develop it
Use four goals and four players. Each player has three lives, if a goal is scored into a player’s goal, he loses a life. The last player standing is the winner.
You can progress this game so each player is joined by a goalkeeper (see picture three). This improves the ability to create space and shooting skills when under pressure. The game is continuous and requires lots of footballs.