This small-sided soccer game makes the most of 1v1 situations and being able to make and evade tackles. The soccer (football) players in this game need to have good all-round soccer skills so their team doesn’t lose a life. More than anything, this drill will improve your players’ soccer techniques for tackling.
Find a lot more free small-sided games here.
Or if you want to improve defending skills, then here’s a list of soccer tackling drills.
Set up this tackling game
- You can use the centre circle of an 11-a-side pitch or mark out a circle with cones around 30 yards in diameter for the drill.
- You need four goals, as in the diagram, but you can use cones to mark out goals.
- Split your squad into four and line them up next to the goals.
Run the game
- The game works with four players on the pitch, one from each team.
- You have to defend your goal but attack the other three.
- Any player letting a goal in has to go off the pitch and another of their team joins.
- Once you are off the pitch you have lost your life and cannot go back on.
- The team with the last player on the pitch wins.
Here’s a simple diagram that will help you run the game
Small-sided games are recommended as one of the best ways to coach your players soccer skills. Michael Beale’s 64 Small-Sided Soccer Games has all you need to run successful coaching sessions based on this system. Click here to order a copy.
Try this drill to improve soccer tackling technique further.