A key to a passing team is retaining possession in midfield. Use this session to show your players how to keep hold of the ball in the middle of the pitch. MORE
Three in one soccer coaching session
This is a transition soccer game which gives your players an excellent workout at 1v1, 2v2 and 4v4. It’s three games on the same pitch. The emphasis moves from individual skills to team work and communication.
In the first part of this soccer training drill, you are looking for individual skills such as shielding, turning and shooting. Then you can bring in support player movement.
Set up the soccer game
- Set up a pitch as in the picture with four goals. The pitch size will vary depending on the age of your soccer (football) players – a minimum size of 30 x 20 yards up to 40 x 25 yards.
- Arrange your players into groups of three to play four simultaneous games as follows:
- One player goes in goal.
- The other two players play a 1 v 1 game.
- The first player to score two goals wins and goes in goal.
- The goalkeeper comes out and plays 1 v 1 against the other player.
- Now change to two simultaneous 3 v 3 games. The players are now playing in a team so passing and movement becomes a factor, rather than just relying on individual skill and dribbling.
- Now move to one large 6 v 6 game, where each soccer (football) team has to defend and attack two goals. This requires a different approach again from your players. Note how they deal with the change of scale and see what issues this raises.
Click here to get more Smart Sessions soccer coaching plans dropping in to your inbox every week. They come in advanced and core versions.