Great activity to use before a game or training to warm players up with a simple passing exercise MORE
Diamonds sharpen skills
This session sharpens an array of soccer skills at the beginning of a season when players need to get their bodies back into balance and refresh their technique on the ball. This is a great session to use for sharpening awareness and coordination.
Set up a 15×15-yard area, with a five-yard diamond shape in the middle. We used eight players.
How to play it
There are two players on each side. Each pair has a ball between them. On your command, players must dribble and complete various skills before passing out and waiting for their next turn. When a skill is completed the player follows his pass and joins the next group.
Try calling out these skills: dribble around the cone and go left; dribble around the cone and go right; drop right shoulder and go left; drop left shoulder and go right; right-footed sole drag and go left; left-footed sole drag and go right; right-footed step over and go left; left-footed step-over and go right.
Add more skills depending on the ability of your players.
Players must focus on their technique on the move, working to their maximum and performing at a constant pace so that the motion of the diamond is maintained. Awareness is important too – can players react to both late and early instructions?
- 1. Players set up in pairs around the square and wait for the coach to call out the instructions and signal go
- 2. The first player in each pair must dribble to the cone and perform a skill
- 3. Once the player has performed the skill they pass to their left and follow the ball. They wait for their next turn
- 4. Here the players performed a step over before they reached the square then had to turn to their left and pass the ball
- 5. The next go they drop their left shoulder and go around the cone and pass to the player on their right