Use this training session to show your forwards how to bring other players into the game in the final third of the pitch. This will get your players winning the ball and playing deep behind the attackers to play into them. MORE
Pass and sprint
Great way to warm up before a match or training session. Similar to a Rondo but with more physical movement for days when it is cold or you have a practice based on fitness.
Why use it
Great fun for all players before they move to the main session – you can use different skills at each cone.
You need balls, bibs and cones Set up an area 25 x 15 yards with a red, green, black and blue cone on each side. We used 14 players in the session
How to do it
Working in sets of three players pass a ball around the area.
After each pass they sprint to an outside cone and back into the game.
However a different action is required at each cone.
Red cone, quick feet around.
Blue cone jump over and turn 180 degrees.
Black cone, spin around behind.
Green cone, run complete circle touching cone with finger.
Change the required response regularly in order to keep the players focused.
Play 7 v 2 with the attacking players restricted to two touches.
In all other respects the practice is the same as outlined above.
When entering the pitch while playing 7 v 2 try to time your movements to continue possession. IF the team of 2 win the ball they clear it out of play – change the defenders every 30 seconds
Players to practice different technical skills on the cones. Agility, changes of direction. Hopping skills balance on one foot., sprinting.
1. Working in threes players pass the ball around the area constantly moving
2. After each pass the player must run around a cone and do the skill required at that cone
3. Make sure the players know what to do and don’t make a half hearted attempt
4. In the progression play a 7v2 with the same movement around the cones after each pass
5. If the team of 2 win the ball they clear it out of play – change the defenders every 30 seconds