What I love about my U9s team is that when I come out to warm them up before a match they are all ready and sitting there waiting for me... with a cheer they all descend on the bag of training balls and start warming themselves up. MORE
Pre match soccer warm up drill
One way of getting your players into the right frame of mind for a match is to use good warm-up drills. If you are all in a big circle you can also talk to your players and remind them about their responsibilties towards the team, the opposition and the officials.
I like to get my players around me and call out to them what they have to do in the circle for this soccer warm-up drill. I tend to use this time to talk to them about the game as well. It builds great team spirit.
Set up the drill
Mark out a circle in cones that each of your players will stand behind – not too big a circle, you want each player about five yards from the centre where you stand.
The players have to react to your call in this warm up drill:
- Go left – players side step continuously to the left.
- Go right – players side step continuously to the right.
- Two left or one right – players move one or two cones to the side called.
- Middle – players run into the coach and jockey backwards out.
- Go – the players sprint across the area and switch places with the player opposite.
To order a copy of The Ultimate Soccer Warm-Ups Manual, click here.