What I love about my U9s team is that when I come out to warm them up before a match they are all ready and sitting there waiting for me... with a cheer they all descend on the bag of training balls and start warming themselves up. MORE
This fun rondo game has everything your team needs for a good pre-season workout. It offers plenty of movement for your players and sharpens their control and technique too.
Set up an area of 30×30 yards split into 15×15-yard quarters. We’ve used 14 players and you need bibs, balls and cones.
How to do it
You need to split your squad into two teams of seven and start playing two basic 5v2 games in opposite boxes. The two defenders in each team have to carry bibs. Start with two touches but try to get them to use one touch as much as possible. If they are having trouble, make it 6v1 so they get more success.
- The game starts with the five attacking players keeping the ball from the two defenders
- 2. If the defender wins the ball they must change places with the player who lost it and give the bib to them
- 3. When the attacking team has successfully made three consecutive passes they have to move into a different square
- 4. Here the team attempts to keep the ball as they move to another square but the defender is too quick and wins the ball
- 5. Build up to players using one touch to keep the ball