This training session is a good workout for forwards pressing and forcing mistakes high up the pitch. It also helps to develop link play in the final third. MORE
Shadowing warm up drill to work on marking skills
This is a good soccer warm-up drill for young players, which is designed to get their muscles working. It also has a soccer shadowing theme to it. Players need to shadow the opponent they are marking. Make sure your players aren’t left behind during the drill.
Soccer drill set up
- Place two markers positioned three to five metres apart.
- Partners stand opposite each other, either side of the line.
- Designate a leader and a follower.
- The leader moves laterally, parallel to the line formed between the cones.
- Follower attempts to keep their body in front of the leader.
- Get the players to compete for periods of 15-20 seconds.
Repeat the soccer coaching drill five times.
Click here for a soccer marking game to warm-up your young players.
To get a copy of The Ultimate Soccer Warm-Up Manual, click here.