This warm up is ideal for training sessions about retaining possession and finding players in key positions. This concept is really important for teams that manage to have the lion’s share of possession in games yet find the opposition denying them space in the final third. MORE
Running with the ball warm-up
The focus in this soccer warm-up drill is on controlling the ball and changing direction. The exercise requires skill and concentration from all your soccer players so they can work without losing possession.
This is a great soccer warm-up to get your players ready for a match or soccer coaching session.
Set up soccer warm-up drill
Place three poles or cones in a line five yards apart. Have a team of players at either end of the poles.
Key soccer coaching elements
Running with the ball under control, changing direction and passing.
- Arrange your players into two groups.
- Two balls work simultaneously.
- The players must dribble between the first and second poles, then back between the second and third poles (slalom style) before making a pass to the opposite team.
- Get your players to run with the ball out of their feet and slow down in order to change direction.
- The practice is repeated for a set time period.
Click the link to order a copy of The Ultimate Soccer Warm-Ups Manual.
Click the link for a soccer warm-up drill for dribbling and passing skills.