Don't just dig out your boot bag the day before training is due to start and polish your boots... there's more to getting ready for the new season than that. Map out your pre-season fitness blueprint for you and your players. MORE
Soccer warm up drill to get players thinking
This is a fun soccer drill to test decision-making skills when your soccer (football) players are tired. It can be set up quickly to use as a soccer warm-up or warm-down drill.
As well as a good drill to use for fitness, this is good for attackers and defenders to test their decision-making abilities. This soccer drill requires them to either get a good pass in or make a good block. It’s quick to play and can be used by small and large groups.
Drill set up tips
- Use cones for this drill and mark out a circle in the middle of the pitch, about ten yards in radius.
- Split the group into two equal teams. Nominate one of the teams as the attackers.
- You and both teams stand in the circle, before you kick a ball out of the circle.
- The attackers fetch the ball and attempt to score a goal by passing the ball through the circle, arriving from any angle. They can run and pass in any direction, but not above waist height.
- The defenders can tackle or block the ball. Allow the defending team to leave the circle at your discretion.