What I love about my U9s team is that when I come out to warm them up before a match they are all ready and sitting there waiting for me... with a cheer they all descend on the bag of training balls and start warming themselves up. MORE
Squat jump soccer warm up drill
Using a combination of jumps in a drill is a great way to help your young players warm up their muscles before a match, as well as building up their core agility skills.
Known as plyometrics, these jumps work on a quick, powerful movement using a stretch reflex. A stretch reflex occurs when a muscle lengthens (stretches), then immediately shortens – the reflex action occurs when the muscle changes from the lengthening to the shortening action.
Using this soccer drill as a warm-up exercise is a great way to prepare muscles for the rigours of a match or soccer training session.
Squat jump soccer drill
- Stand, feet hip-width apart.
- Drop rapidly into a partial squat position.
- Immediately jump for maximum height.
- Land with semi-squat position.
- Complete the drill with three sets of six repetitions.
- Rest for 90 seconds between drill sets.