Don't just dig out your boot bag the day before training is due to start and polish your boots... there's more to getting ready for the new season than that. Map out your pre-season fitness blueprint for you and your players. MORE
Squat jump soccer warm up drill
Using a combination of jumps in a drill is a great way to help your young players warm up their muscles before a match, as well as building up their core agility skills.
Known as plyometrics, these jumps work on a quick, powerful movement using a stretch reflex. A stretch reflex occurs when a muscle lengthens (stretches), then immediately shortens – the reflex action occurs when the muscle changes from the lengthening to the shortening action.
Using this soccer drill as a warm-up exercise is a great way to prepare muscles for the rigours of a match or soccer training session.
Squat jump soccer drill
- Stand, feet hip-width apart.
- Drop rapidly into a partial squat position.
- Immediately jump for maximum height.
- Land with semi-squat position.
- Complete the drill with three sets of six repetitions.
- Rest for 90 seconds between drill sets.