Whether your players are kicking into the wind, or with the wind, follow these soccer coaching tips to keep youngsters' shots, passes and goal kicks accurate.
Playing into the wind tips
- Tell your players to keep it tight — short passing skills are needed into the wind. Any long balls will be held up by the wind and you will soon find you’re up against a fast breakaway attack.
- In your soccer training drills, practise holding the ball up — get your players to play balls into the attacker with his back to goal, creating opportunities for your midfielders to run with the ball.
- At goalkicks, tell your goalkeeper to play out to the sides — a long kick down the middle would be suicide.
Playing with the wind tips
- Tell your players to resist the temptation to blast long balls into the opposition half — your forwards will soon get tired of the ball going straight out of play.
- But do let your goalkeeper unleash some long balls – get your forwards to cause chaos with the bouncing goalkicks by heading them towards goal.
- Tell your forwards to test your opponents' goalkeeper with high accurate shots.