The Hook Turn is a great attacking skill. Watch the video THE HOOK TURN which will teach your players how to do it and this activity will help them to practise MORE
This is a great turn to use when there isn’t a lot of space to work in.
What this session is about
- Losing a marker.
- Creating space.
- Changing the direction of play.
What to think about
- Slow down on approach.
- Non-kicking foot next to ball, kicking foot on top.
- Roll ball back under body at least 2m and out of feet.
- Turn, using plant foot as pivot.
- Eyes on the ball.
- Accelerate away.
- If using right foot turn to the right.
- 1 ball between 3 players (“A”, “B” and “C”)
- 4 disc cones (“1”, “2”, “3” and “4”), each a different colour, in a line with gaps of approximately 4m, 8m and 4m between them. Spacing can be changed to suit the age of players.
|Warm up||Session||Developments||Game Situation||Warm Down|
|10 minutes||30 minutes||30 minutes||20 minutes||10 minutes|
What you get your players to do
All three players line-up at cone 1.
Player A dribbles to cone 3, performs the dragback turn, and dribbles back before passing to the next player in line, who repeats the drill.
Once players start to feel comfortable, get them to increase speed of dribble and turn.
Repeat using other foot
Players A and B line up at one end with player C at the other. Player A runs to cone 3, but as they pass cone 2, player B gives chase to try and tag him.
When Player A turns at cone 3, player B stops chasing and player C begins, and must try to tag player A before he reaches cone 1.
Repeat with player C dribbling, then player B ensuring that all players practice with each foot.
Set up goals on all four sides of a pitch approx 15 x 20m.
Play 2v2, with one team attacking the goals across the width of the pitch, and the other attacking the goals down the length of the pitch. After each goal the teams switch to attacking the other set of goals.
Can the players use the drag back turn to quickly change the direction of play?
What to call out
- “Slow down – get the technique right first”
- “Attack the turn”
- “Sprint away”