This session is all about movement around the goal so keepers have the best chance of reacting to danger. It forces shot stoppers to think about how they stand and the positions they MORE
Finger tipping good
Help your goalkeepers perfect the most eye-catching save possible. This is a full-length dive through the air to tip a goal-bound shot around the post.
What this session is about
- Shot stopping
- Acquiring the correct technique to deflect (or tip) shots away from the goal.
What to think about
- Use fast footwork to reach the right position. Step into the line of the shot.
- Using your fingers is OK but using the heel or palm of a hand is better if possible.
- Deflect it behind (wide or over), not back out in front of goal.
- Will you use one hand or both? Although catch is the best option if possible.
- How are you going to land after dive/jump?
- Use a 10-yard square playing area (although distance is dependent on the age and ability of players) with one goal at each end, each about five yards wide.
- Use two players as both servers and goalkeepers.
|Warm up||Session||Developments||Game Situation||Warm Down|
|10 minutes||10 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes||10 minutes|
What you get your players to do
A server passes balls firmly along the floor towards either corner of the goal where the goalkeeper tries to stop the ball from going into the goal. After each attempted save, the goalkeeper returns to their start position. Once the supply of balls runs out, the players switch roles.
To progress, the server throws the ball towards the inside of either post, so that it arrives at the goal at about waist height.
Throwing ensures accuracy but make sure serves are varied. It must not be predictable for the goalkeeper. If the thrower is good enough, then he can kick rather than throw.
To progress further, the server throws or kicks the ball at the top corners of the goal.
Place all the balls outside of one goal post. The goalkeeper passes firmly to their partner who attempts to score inside the opposite post. Make sure players switch roles and that the supply of balls is moved to outside the other post for both players’ turns.
Use an area 30 yards long by 35 yards wide with a half way line and a goal on each of the longer sides.
Play five-a-side and use offsides. Encourage shots from the defensive half which a) count as double, and b) usually force goalkeepers into pulling off finger tipping good saves.
What to call out
- “Server: give good quality service”
- “Keep on your toes”
- “Use strong wrists/hands”
- Get up quickly (in case of rebounds in a match)”