If you want your players to be creative attackers, try this fast and simple game to encourage them to beat the opposition with clever passes, shots and skills. MORE
Triangles – one-touch play
Use this session to turn your midfielders into a well-oiled attacking machine and teach them the benefits of bringing strikers into the game with some exciting one touch play.
Why use it
A session aimed at getting midfielders to play off each other in order to bring attackers into the game and provide support in attack, taking shooting chances when they are created. It also sets up good opportunities to coach counterattacking from midfield.
Mark out a tight playing area 30×15 yards with two mini goals at both ends of the area. We’re using six players in the session and you will need balls, bibs and cones, plus the four mini goals.
How to play
Play a 2v2 game with a target player at each end of the pitch positioned between the two goals. The midfielders attack the opposition goals but the attack must involve the target player at the attacking end of the pitch.
One of the most attacking football formations uses a three-man midfield behind three attackers. This session shows the three midfielders how to make the most of the midfield by playing off each other to set up attacks and make use of counterattacks.
- 1. In a 2v2 players must combine to get a pass into the target player at the end they are attacking in order to set up a chance at goal
- 2. Limited to one or two touches, the target players must play a ball that his team-mates can score from
- 3. Players should try lots of different ways to create space. Here the player dribbles with the ball, drawing the opposition midfield out of position to open up the pitch
- 4. A longer pass into the target player opens up an easy chance for an aware midfielder
- 5. A counterattack will reap rewards if the players are switched on and win the ball with interceptions or tackles