It is an important part of a striker’s tool box to be able to dribble the ball and have a shot a goal as a result – often finding space in the final third relies on aggressive strikers MORE
Fun pre-match activity
This fun activity is perfect for use on match days, allowing you to warm up your players’ passing and moving technique.
Difficulty Rating – 4 out of 5 stars
Good technical warm up but does require the player in the centre to move quickly to keep the session going – the progression adds movement which makes it much harder that the first.
You need balls, bibs, cones and a mannequin (cone/training pole) in a 20 x 15 yard area with four cones on the corners and a centre mannequin (or cone/training pole). We used 6 players in the session.
How to play
Player 1 passes the ball across to player 2, who takes it and feeds into player 3. This man then turns around the mannequin or cone and passes on to player 4, who passes to player 5 then it goes back to player 3 who passes to player 1. For the second warm up, player 1 passes across the grid to player 2, who plays in to player 3. This player passes back to player 2 and makes a run around the mannequin. Player 2 now sets the ball down the channel for player 3 to receive and play on to player 4, who passes to player 5 then it goes back to player 3.
- Player 1 passes the ball to player 2 who then passes to player three in the centre – this player then passes to player 4
- When the player in the centre gets the ball he turns around the mannequin or cone and passes to player 4 who passes to player 5 and then the ball goes to player 3 who passes back to player 1 in a continuous circuit
- In the progression movement becomes more game-like to replicate fast passing in tight areas
- Now we add an extra pass so the second player receives the ball and passes into the player on the mannequin who passes back then runs around the mannequin to receive a return pass.
- Again the ball goes to the other side with the ball moving continuously around the square
The brilliance of this session is in its continuous movement. Players must perfect touch, technique and team play.