A fast and furious game to encourage your attackers to use their speed to beat defenders and take the keeper by surprise MORE
1v1 around the clock
This simple and fun activity is perfect for use on match days, allowing you to warm up your players with ball control, speed and good touch.
DIFFICULTY RATING ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆
Good warm-up to get players up to speed with ball control and movement – turning, dribbling and shooting are all part of the warm-up.
Set up a 20×20-yard playing area, as shown, with target goals. The box in the middle is four yards square.
How to do it
You need 4 defenders and an attacker and a load of balls in the centre square. The attacker starts in the middle zone; the four defenders each protect a goal. The attacker has a choice of which defender to attack. He must dribble towards goal and attempt to score. If successful, he returns to the middle zone, collects a ball, and attacks another goal. If the defender manages to stop the player, he runs into the middle zone, collects a ball and attacks the goal of his choice. The player who previously attacked replaces him in the goal. The practice is continuous and can be played with additional players starting in the middle for increased intensity. Play for 10 minutes.
Always remind the attacker that he has the freedom to choose which goal he attacks, but must be decisive and clever to maximise his opportunity. Players will soon learn that defending well gives them the chance to attack and score.
- 1. The attacker has to try and score past all the defenders one by one
- 2. If the attacker scores he goes back to the centre to get another ball to attack another goal
- 3. This time the attacker chooses to go 1v1 against the defender in the top goal using a feint to deceive him
- 4. But the defender saves the ball and the attacker and defender swap places
- 5. Now the defender becomes the attacker and tries to beat the defenders