Shooting from midfield is a great way to get your team to catch the opposition out. Use this session to get players lining up shots. Players can be scared to shoot from distance but this session will make sure they start doing it in matches. MORE
How to take long throw-ins
A long throw when teams are in the attacking third of the pitch can be as effective as a corner kick or a free-kick. Use this session to identify a couple of players who can perfect the technique.
Why use it
Throw-ins and heading are the crux of the game. The fact that passes are thrown offers greater supply accuracy and ensures that more heading opportunities will come about.
You need balls, bibs, cones and two goals. Set up an area 30 x 20 yards with a goal at each end. We used 8 players in this game with no goalkeepers.
How to do it
Split your players into two teams of 4 players . The aim of the game is to score a goal by heading in a pass. Passes are made by throwing the ball forward with a throw-in style action. Passes can be caught or headed. The player in possession cannot move with the ball. In addition, the player in possession must not have the ball in their hands for longer than five seconds. This encourages quick passing and decision making.
Use a throw-ins style pass and good heading technique – a skill often overlooked in training
- 1. If the ball is wet make sure you dry it on your shirt or it will slip out of your hands
- 2. Use a W shape with the thumbs almost touching
- 3. Hold the ball in front and move forwards
- 4. Take the ball behind the head, keep both feet on the floor and bring the ball sharply forward
- 5. The game starts with one team having the ball with all players moving to help the player with the ball
- 6. The team in possession must use a throw-in style pass to a team mate’s head
- 7. The thrower cannot move once he has the ball
- 8. Players can only score goals with their heads – remember there are no goalkeepers so accuracy is the most important skill
- 9. Progress the session so that players can now volley the ball as well as head it to add more action into the session